What does a wicked cold front for weeks plus two blizzards and holidays equal? Why Cabin Fever of course!
It has been an interesting re-entry into the world and introduction to 2018.
Starting before Christmas we got wicked cold weather here in Maine, and when I say wicked, I mean highs not getting above freezing and single digits in Fahrenheit people (which trump’s Celsius when describing the cold any day)! Which means my kids have been inside.
Inside. I have four kids remember? At 11, 9, 4 and almost 6 that is a lot of people taking up space. Oh and my hubby was home between Christmas and New Years as well. Which means six of us and the cat in a three bedroom two floor house.
Yay. That’s interesting. What I realized last week as we were facing a Bombogenesis which is just a hurricane out of season that dumps a shit tonne of snow and wind and then scoopes arctic air from you guessed it the Arctic – that we have full blown cabin fever at my house.
Yes, it’s only the beginning of January, and therefore seems way too soon for such a malady.
But here let me list the symptoms:
- Way more girl-on-girl fighting than normal, and some of it getting physical.
- They are actually bored with what they are allowed to watch on tv
- New colossal games are organized, and then soon abandoned with the pieces strewn everywhere
- Parental tolerance and patience flew out the window a long time ago
- The words “I don’t know what to do” are spoken often because they know if they say “I’m Bored” chores will be handed out
- They are actually wanting to do things they normally put off just to have something to do…
And we are only in the single digits of January. The local weather forecasters suggested that this winter we would be front-loaded with snow and storms early on, and so far that has panned out. I am just hoping that they are right about the front-loaded part and that maybe by say the end of March we will be done with the white stuff.
Wait the end of March?
That’s fucking months from now.
I am going to need more wine, beer, and books. Oh and maybe a better set of noise canceling headphones.
Yep that should do me. And hours behind a locked door. Yep that’s good.
That should help me get to spring
And lovely MUD SEASON!